Skip to content
For the Cake
- 260g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 260g Billington’s Unrefined Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 5 Free range medium eggs
- 260g Allinson’s Self Raising White Flour
- 2.5 tsp Baking powder
- 8 tbsp Boiling water
- 60g Cocoa powder
For the Buttercream
- 500g Silver Spoon Icing Sugar
- 75g Cocoa powder
- 300g Unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tbsp Milk
For the Filling
- 200g Chocolate sweets (smarties or m&ms)
How to Make a Piñata Cake
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Grease and line three 8” circular cake tins.
- Step 2: Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Step 3: Gradually add the eggs one by one, mixing in between.
- Step 4: Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in.
- Step 5: In a separate small bowl mix together the cocoa powder and boiling water to a paste then add to the mixture, stirring to combine.
- Step 6: Once fully combined, carefully pour into the 3 prepared tins in equal measures.
- Step 7: Bake the sponges in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
- Step 8: Once baked, leave the sponges to cool on a wire rack.
- Step 9: Once fully cooled, carefully cut out a large circle from the centre of two of the sponges using a pastry cutter, these will become the bottom and middle sponges.
- Step 10: Place the bottom base on a cake board or cake stand that you want to present your cake on (it will be difficult to move once filled).
- Step 11: Beat together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter to make your buttercream (you may need to add a splash of milk to loosen up).
- Step 12: Spread a thin layer of buttercream on the bottom layer of your cake (not covering the hole) and place the second layer on top.
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream on the…
Step 13: Fill the hole in the centre with your chocolate sweets.
- Step 14: Spread a thin layer of buttercream on the top of the sponge and place the remaining sponge layer without the hole on top to seal in the sweets.
- Step 15: With the remaining buttercream spread generously on the outside of the cake (or pipe if preferred).
- Step 16: Decorate with chocolate sprinkles and serve.